About Claudia Luiz
Dr. Claudia Luiz has been credited with “clearing up the misconceptions behind the common clichés of psychotherapy,” by Peter Kramer the author of Listening to Prozac.
A psychoanalyst with more than 25 years of experience treating individuals, couples and families, Dr. Luiz has dedicated her career to helping people understand what really creates change: emotional experiences. Emotional experiences — such as feeling understood and being heard — remove obstacles to discovering solutions that really work.
She published her book, “Where’s My Sanity?” to illustrate the emotional experiences people can search for. Because you can’t always just push a button on yourself, every time you want to manufacture change.
The book offers compelling case studies, based on treating hundreds of patients. It has touched a nerve with both practitioners and the general public. Therapists have said it has helped them reinvigorate their practices, ranking the book with the seminal work, Love’s Executioner by Irving Yalom. Men and women alike have found the book both “inspirational” and “profoundly comforting” and also a “great contribution” to their lives.
Now, Dr. Luiz is spreading her message in person. A gifted and experienced public speaker, she has addressed general audiences and provided emotional intelligence training for individuals and corporations. Her mission: “I want to show people what emotional experiences are transformational, and how to search for them. So they will know that everything they are feeling can take them to new places.”
Academic Training & Professional Designations:
- Master’s in Education from the Harvard Graduate School of Education
- Psychoanalytic Doctorate (PsyaD.) from the Boston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis.
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor
- 2006 First-place winner of the Phyllis W. Meadow Award for Excellence in Psychoanalytic Writing.
- 2008 Writers’ Digest Award for Best Writers’ Web site.
- Five years as author of “Claudia Confidentially,” a personal advice column that was syndicated in a series of papers across the Metrowest region of Massachusetts.
- Quoted in The Boston Globe and featured on Boston newscasts and Chronicle as an expert on issues such as dating, marriage, and parenting.
Agency client list
The organizations for which Claudia has providing clinical consulting include:
- The T. Berry Brazelton Child Study Unit at Children’s Hospital
- The Boston Latin School, Boston, MA
- The Massachusetts Office for Children
- Massachusetts Department of Social Services
- The Wes-Ros Park Mental Health Center, MA
- Family Connections of Roslindale, MA
- Warmlines, a resource and referral center in Newton, MA
- Metropolitan State Hospital, no longer open
- The Boston Center for Adult Education
- The Boston College Center for Corporate Education
- The Boston Learning Society
- Brookline Adult and Community Education Center
- The Berklee School of Music
- New Beginnings